Have you ever been confused about the differences between GoPro and DSLR while making a purchase of your next new camera? Well, both of these cameras were made for totally different purposes. While buying one, you should consider all pros and cons of both the cameras. Depending upon their usage, their characteristics differ.
In this article on GoPro vs DSLR, we shall cover all the differences between GoPro and DSLR cameras.
- GoPro vs DSLR: A Key Difference Between GoPro and DSLR
- Differences Between GoPro and DSLR in Tabular Form
- What is GoPro?
- GoPro HERO Series
- What is DSLR?
- Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Full Frame Digital SLR Camera
- Nikon D850
- Panasonic DC-G9LK LUMIX G9 Mirrorless Camera
- Pentax K-3 Mark III Flagship APS-C Black Camera
- OM-System OM-1 Camera Body, Black
- GoPro Vs DSLR: Summary
GoPro vs DSLR: A Key Difference Between GoPro and DSLR
A key difference between GoPro and DSLR is their purpose. GoPro is specially designed for capturing extreme actions whereas DSLR is made to shoot professionally, especially photographs.
Even though DSLR can be used for videography to a certain extent, it cannot match the videography level of GoPro. On the contrary, GoPro can not be used for effective photography as compared to DSLR.
Differences Between GoPro and DSLR in Tabular Form
|Purpose||GoPro is used for extreme action video capturing such as trekking, sports, cycling, etc.||DSLR is used for still photography and videography to a certain extent. To capture wildlife or other professional photos, DSLR is always preferred.|
|Weight and size||GoPros are extremely lightweight and compact and hence can be carried anywhere to not miss a single moment.||Even the lightest DSLR cameras are 3-4 times heavier than GoPros plus they are bigger in size and kind of difficult to carry while traveling.|
|WaterProofing||All GoPros starting from HERO5 are waterproof making it an ideal choice for adventure videography.||DSLR cameras are not waterproof. The latest versions can be weatherproof but not waterproof.|
|Video Resolution||GoPro can shoot a video with 4K resolution.||DSLR can shoot up to 1080 HD resolution.|
|Cost||GoPros are budget-friendly as compared to DSLR cameras.||DSLR cameras are much more expensive as compared to GoPro.|
|Photography||GoPro isn’t the recommended option for photography.||DSLRs have a wide range of modes and autofocus points that makes photography professional.|
|Stability and wide-angle||GoPro is known for its two prominent features- extraordinary stability and Wide-angle.||Both of these features aren’t available in DSLRs by default. However, these can be achieved with the use of lenses.|
|Night Mode||GoPro works best in the sunlight.||DSLR works best both day and night time.|
|Mounts||GoPro can be used with more than 45 mounts, for example, car mounts, headgears, hand mounts, and so on.||For DSLR you can use tripods, gorilla tripods, etc.|
What is GoPro?
In simple words, GoPro is an action camera that was created to capture extreme-level action while keeping the frame stable. Its wide-angle lens lets you capture as much as possible. These compact, very tough action cameras provide outstanding video and audio quality and may frequently be found for a very low price.
GoPro company was launched in 2002 and its first camera- GoPro 35mm HERO was launched in 2004. The original Digital HERO, the most popular GoPro series, was released in 2006, with 10-second video capabilities.
GoPro offers a great variety of action cameras from FPVs and GoPro 360 to Drone pilots. With every newly added camera in the series, GoPro offers better stabilization, better color, and other added features, making it more and more likable by adventure lovers!
GoPro HERO Series
This is the most successful and popular camera series out of all GoPro cameras.
- 12MP photos, TimeWarp 2.0, live streaming at 1080 HD.
- HyperSmooth 2.0 video stabilization
- 4K60 plus 1080p240 VIDEO
- super 8X slo-mo combined with HyperSmooth stabilization
- waterproof to 33ft (10m)
- can be controlled with 14 voice commands
- GPS and motion sensors to capture location, altitude, and speed.
- 20MP photos with super photo, TimeWarp 3.0, Live stream in 1080p+ Webcam
- HyperSmooth 3.0 stabilization and 8x Slo-Mo.
- Stunning 5K Video resolution
- Front Display + Rear Touch Screen
- TimeWarp 3.0, 23MP at 60fps + SuperPhoto with HDR and RAW Photo Capture, Live Streaming at 1080p, and Webcam Mode
- HyperSmooth 4.0 video stabilization, 8x Slo-Mo
- 5.3K video resolution, Waterproof to 33ft
- Longer lasting 1720mAh lithium-ion rechargeable battery.
- 16.6MP 360, Max TimeWarp + Time Lapse, 1080p Live Streaming
- Max HyperSmooth Video stabilization, Slo-mo 2x at 3K + 1080p (HERO mode)
- Video Resolution: 5.6K30 HERO: 1440/1080p60
- Front or rear touch
One of the main differences between GoPro and DSLR is mounts. GoPro comes with more than 45 mounts including hand gears, headgears, car mounts, bike gears, and so on. These mounts make it extremely easier for adventurers to capture moments and nothing is missed.
You can buy these mounts from Amazon. This kit has almost all the mounts and straps that are compatible with all GoPro cameras- both newer and older versions. These can be used by any body shape and size and for any extreme adventure activity such as surfing, skateboarding, parachuting, and bungy jumping.
What is DSLR?
The optics and motors of a single-lens reflex camera are combined with a digital image sensor in a digital single-lens reflex camera. There are several advantages to owning a DSLR camera. Even an average DSLR camera provides features like image quality, the convenience of having a dedicated device, and flexibility.
DSLRs are specially used for professional photography, but newer models can shoot in 4k resolution as well. There are several brands that manufacture DSLRs and are deliberately popular in the market showcasing their unique features.
Here are a few DSLR cameras along with their features.
This camera is considered one of the best Canon DSLR cameras with a 30.4 Megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor.
- ISO range 100-32000 (expandable up to 50-102400)
- 7.0 fps continuous shooting speed
- 4K Motion JPEG video
- 61 AF points with expanded vertical coverage with 41 cross-points
- scene recognition and face detection capabilities.
- Built-in Wi-Fi, GPS, and NFC connectivity
Nikon D850 is one the best of Nikon DSLR cameras. It’s a camera with 45.7 megapixels of outstanding quality that allows photographers to record quick action. All of its features are just extraordinary and the best thing about this camera is- it’s weatherproof!
- 45.7 megapixels resolution
- 4K Ultra HD video recording, slow motion up to 120 FPS at 1080p
- 8k6 and 4k time-lapse movies
- 9 fps1 continuous shooting at full resolution
- other features like- silent photography (no shutter sound), The tilting touchscreen LCD screen, Autofocus down to -4 EV, etc.
- 4K Time-Lapse and 8K Time-Lapse Using Interval Timer
Panasonic’s Lumix brand manufactures a wide range of cameras, from point-and-shoots to DSLRs and mirrorless cameras. In partnership with Olympus, the business is notable for standardizing and developing the Micro Four Thirds (MFT) system of cameras and lenses.
- Full resolution 20.3-Megapixel sensor, plus 80 megapixels high-resolution Jpeg/raw in-camera image
- 3,680K-dot OLED Live View Finder
- durable, magnesium alloy body that’s splash/dust/freeze-proof.
- A lighter and compact body that is travel-free
- full size (type A) HDMI terminal with a cable lock, Twin SD card slots (UHS-II U3 Compatible), and 3. 5mm microphone & headphone terminals
- Dust reduction system: Supersonic wave filter.
This camera is magic for those who are professional photographers and are seeking to work even more in the photography segment. The All Modern Flagship APS-C model K-3 III continues a legacy of workmanship paired with today’s new technology, based on basic values of enthusiasm for photography.
- the optical viewfinder provides 100% field of view and 1.05x image magnification
- 101 Autofocus points, High reolution touch scren LCD
- Shake reduction mechanism that helps to capture blur-free images.
- rugged, durable, and dependable that is weatherproof and can be used in the harshest climate conditions. However, it’s not water-proof so do not use it underwater.
- mirror, shutter drive mechanism produces 12 FPS image capture
This camera is the most popular in the market and a flagship camera of the brand. It is compact, lightweight, weatherproof, and packed with advanced features that you would want to look for! If you are looking for a professional DSLR camera that doesn’t cause any hole in your pocket and is also packed with all the features you ask for, then this is the camera you should invest in.
- 20M Stacked BSI Live MOS sensor
- Computational photography functions, including Handheld High Res Shot, Live ND, Handheld Live Composite, Focus Stacking & HDR shooting.
- dustproof, splashproof, and freeze-proof performance to -10℃.
- ISO range 25,600- 102,400.
GoPro Vs DSLR: Summary
- GoPro is specifically designed for action shooting (videography) at excellent 4K resolution whereas DSLR is specifically designed for professional-level photography with features like changeable lenses, various shooting modes, changeable ISO, and so on.
- The important difference between GoPro and DSLR is the weight. GoPro is very compact, lightweight, and easy to carry. Whereas DSLR is heavier. Even the latest models of DSLRs that claim to be lightweight cannot compete with the GoPro weight. Hence, GoPros are also used as drone pilots.
- DSLRs are bigger than GoPros and have a bigger screen which means a better sensor. This helps DSLRs to shoot effectively in the dark mode and in low-light situations. As we all know GoPro works better in the daytime and its night mode also can’t be compared with DSLR’s Night mode shooting.
- One of the most visible differences between GoPro and DSLR is the size. Because of GoPro’s modest size, bloggers use them to shoot at critical areas where no bigger cameras can reach. This certainly isn’t possible with a DSLR.
- The most prominent feature of GoPro is its excellent stability. This becomes the important difference between GoPro and DSLR. Even when the latest DSLRs provide stability to a certain extent, they cannot beat GoPro in this case.
- The significant difference between GoPro and DSLR is waterproofness. GoPros are waterproof to 33 ft which is 10 meters making them an ideal choice for shooting water sports as well. DSLRs are heavier and not waterproof at all. You cant use DSLRs underwater; there is a fair chance of short-circuiting if done so. A few latest models are whether-proof and can be resistant to rains and humidity to a certain extent.
- Another difference between GoPro and DSLR is their price. Needless to say, DSLRs are considerably more expensive than GoPros.
- Another important feature and the major difference between GoPro and DSLR is wide-angle shooting. It is GoPro’s inbuilt feature. If you want to achieve it with a DSLR you can simply use a fisheye lens to get results.
- A prominent difference between GoPro and DSLR is the material used in manufacturing. You have to be very careful with a DSLR and you just can’t afford to drop it. On the contrary, GoPro’s material is much sturdy, rough, and tough. You certainly can be fear-free in case your favorite HERO falls down from your hands. Also, the material is waterproof, making it an excellent choice for adventure shooting.
- One of the important differences between GoPro and DSLR is the availability of mounts. It is said that GoPro is of no use without mounts. You can find more than 45 mounts in the market. Whereas DSLR can be used with tripods only.
In a Nutshell,
GoPro and DSLR cannot be compared as they both were made for absolutely different purposes. Depending upon usability you can figure out which camera you want to invest in.
The latest models of DSLRs are capable of shooting a video in 4k like a GoPro plus they can shoot wide-angle pictures and videos with the use of different lenses and can achieve GoPro-like results. However, GoPro cannot shoot like DSLR. We hope this article helped you make your GoPro vs DSLR buying decision. If budget permits, consider buying both for the best of both worlds!
- 7 Best Gimbal Camera Drones to Consider 
- 8 Best Nano Drones with Camera To Consider in 2022
- Best Camera Drone under 200 Dollars: Top 10 List
- 10 Best Action Camera Protectors To Consider
- 9 Best Action Camera With Microphone Attachment: Cheap and Best
- Best Action Camera Under 100 Dollars – For Every Photography Enthusiast
- Top Waterproof Drone With Camera To Buy in 2022
- 10 Best Drones for Fishing And Transportation
- 14 Best DSLR Cameras with Wifi
- 13 Best DSLR Cameras Under 1000 USD for Beginners!
- 8 Best Night Vision Drones To Buy
- 8 Best Drones With Obstacle Avoidance Features
Note: The hours of operation, ticket prices, and admission criteria of museums, parks, etc. may change from time to time. For the most updated information, we recommend checking the official website of the attraction directly prior to your planned visit.
Fresh From The Blog
- 10 Best Cameras for Car Photography
- 5 Best 360-Degree Bird View Cameras For Car
- 8 Best Dog Parks In Jacksonville, Florida
- 13 Free Things To Do In Jacksonville, Florida
- 9 Fun Things To Do In Jacksonville With Kids
- 12 Best Tattoo Shops In Atlanta
- 7 Best Things To Do In Little Italy Of San Diego
- 10 Best Things To Do In Gaslamp, San Diego
- 8 Places For The Best Bubble Tea In Atlanta, Georgia
- 11 Best Clubs in Midtown Atlanta, GA
- 10 Super Romantic Things to Do in Prague for Couples
- 14 Best Hotels In Acuna, Mexico and Del Rio, Texas